Thursday, June 17, 2004

Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata

I recently purchased Lingua Latina per se Illustrata, Pars I: Familia Romana and thought I'd mention it here. As the author, Hans Orberg, describes it,

"LINGUA LATINA provides a Latin text that students can read and understand immediately without any need for translation. In this text every sentence is intelligible per se because the meaning and function of all new words and forms is made plain by the context or by illustrations or marginal notes."

The whole thing is in Latin (really! - even the copyright reads 'omnia proprietatis iura reservantur'), and I think it accomplishes its task quite well - I find myself picking up new vocabulary straight from context. It's wonderful reading through a paragraph without having to dive for a dictionary. It's also nice to read and understand in Latin without having to translate into English as I go along. Hopefully one day I'll be able to read Vergil with as much confidence...

Update: As pointed out in the comments, a second book is also available: Lingua Latina per se Illustrata, Pars II: Roma Aeterna.

2 comments:

Ron Pullins said...

Salva! There is a follow up book to Familia Romana called Roma Aeterna and, yes, indeed, it contains the Virgil you hope some day to read. Be diligent with Lingua Latina and you'll be surprised at what you can do. Good luck. (Full disclosure: I publish the books in North America)

Anonymous said...

AVE POPULUS ANGLICO ET MONDO NOVUS!
PERSECUT USE LATINA LINGUA MAGNA
RESULTATA OBTENTARI