Friday, June 25, 2004

Sententiae

Nothing too involved tonight, just some quick sentences from Wheelock (chapter 10). First the Latin, then my translations and comments...
  1. officium meum faciam
  2. semper magno cum timore incipio dicere
  3. fata viam invenient
  4. vive memor mortis; fugit hora
  1. 'I will do my duty.'
    This is Terence. I like this sentence - sounds neat, short, to the point...

  2. 'I always begin to speak with great fear.'
    Adapted from Cicero. When I read through this, I wasn't sure if magno was modifying timore or not. It feels like magno should be after cum, but that's just my bias from English I suppose. If it was a dative, for example, I think it could be 'I always begin to speak to a great man with fear.'

  3. 'The Fates will find a way.'
    So says Vergil.

  4. 'Live mindful of death; time flees.'
    Happy thoughts... adapted from Persius.


Ok, getting sleepy. bonam noctem!


No comments: